There is a lot to be said for taking the time to assess the speaking journey we have travelled last year. Let’s consider five aspects of reflection.
1. Reflect on what went wrong (if anything), but only with the intent to release any judgment against yourself or others. Make a conscious decision to exercise empathy and move forward into 2020 with a clean emotional slate. Plan ways to improve what you can through practice, enlisting a coach or even joining a speaker’s group.
2. Reflect on everything that went well. It is uplifting to focus on the bright spots, no matter how large or small. These experiences often supply the courage needed to speak again in the future.
3. Reflect on how far you’ve come. As the saying goes, “A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step.” We have no way of knowing how far our speaking attributes will eventually take us, but we can rest assured that each past experience has increased our knowledge and expertise – whether as to what not to do again or what to repeat. Be sure to document every instance with a heavy emphasis on the pros.
4. Reflect on how you decided to speak in the first place. It’s important to remember why you’re making the effort! Recognizing your original intent could be the catalyst that spurs you on to proactive decisions that lead to the next adventure!
5. Finally, as 2020 begins, think about where you would like to see yourself in twelve months. Casting a mental vision can bring forth solid purpose to your actions.
After reflecting, let it all go with the intent of moving forward with intention. Happy New Year! And may all your speaking participation fulfill your heart’s desire in 2020!